Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Mutiny on the Bounty" by John Boyne



I had never given much thought to reading a book about seafaring, mutiny or anything else relating. Although, I must say after reading "Mutiny on the Bounty" by John Boyne, I'm not sure I'll be thinking about much else for awhile. Narrated by a 14 year-old, John Jacob Turnstile, erstwhile thief and bound to be captain's servant-lad, the history of the HMS Bounty and the mutiny that later took place comes alive with a cheeky, and introspective storytelling approach. I found this book overwhelmed me with emotion as one chapter I'd be laughing out loud and the next, kept in awe and suspense over what was to transpire next (despite knowing the eventual outcome.) However, seeing as there are two sides to every story, this one recounts one loyal to the shamed Captain Bligh.

I feel this book was so well-written that I will most definitely be plucking more books by John Boyne from my local libraries and book stores. I can't be surprised considering he is also the author of "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas", which was eventually made into an award winning movie. The topic of this book has also awoken a personal desire to discover more about that fateful voyage aboard HMS The Bounty, so we'll hope to see more reviews and see how they compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment